Ravi Zacharias Quotes

      Today I decided to share some quotes that I really liked from Ravi Zacharias' podcast. I've talked about his topics a little bit in the past, but today I want to share some of his quotes that stuck with me. They are not word for word, but I tried to be faithful to the main idea of the quotes. (If you want to listen to his podcast, which I recommend, the podcast is called "Let My People Think").

      "Sometimes in the tense moments in life, we learn that the man who delivered us into this world will drive us to our destination." Ravi said this after telling a story about a girl who traveling home from the airport. While waiting for her plane, a man approaches her and makes small talk. He asks her where she is going, and he remarks that he is headed to the same place and can even drive her home. She gets suspicious, because she lives in a small town, and it seems very unlikely that this man is headed to the same place as her. However, the man reveals that he is the doctor who delivered her at birth. At this point Ravi says the quote above.
       
      "People often say things like 'my, how you've grown', or 'oh, how time flies'. Yet if we heard a fish saying 'wow, this water is wet', we would find that weird. That is, of course, unless the fish was meant to be on land." Ravi has said different variations of this quote in his podcast, but I really like it. The main point is that we were meant to live in eternity, which is why we don't feel completely in sync with time.
   
      "What belongs to God? Jesus would answer, 'whose inscription is on you'?" I really enjoyed this quote by Ravi when I heard it. Ravi is talking about the Pharisees asking Jesus about taxes, and whether people should pay taxes to Caesar. Jesus responds by saying "give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." The Pharisees left after this, but Ravi said that if they were to ask Jesus "what belongs to God?", Jesus would have said "whose image is on you"?

      "The existentialist lives for the now, the traditionalist in the past, and the utopianist for the future. Scripture says, 'as often as you eat of this bread and drink of this cup [now], you proclaim the Lord’s death [in the past], until He comes [in the future].' Jesus took every moment in history and fused it with meaning." This quote is pretty self explanatory, but it's very well written. It speaks of the significance of the cross and how it has meaning not only in the past, but for the present and future.

      "Jesus did not come to make bad people good, no, He came to make dead people live." This is probably my favorite quote from Ravi Zacharias that I've heard so far. It's not as artsy as some of the other quotes, but is speaks volumes nonetheless. Ravi often talks about morality in his podcasts, so we may get the impression that God came to make us "good" people. However, he reminds us that Jesus came not to make us good, but to take us out of sin and death. We can never be good, and God knew this, so He sent Jesus to make us alive. Without Christ, we are not just "bad", we are dead. In Christ, we are made alive.

      These are just a few of the quotes that really stuck with me while listening to his podcast for about a year or so. Ravi is truly gifted in speaking, and I hope you get a chance to listen to his podcast for yourself. I don't know if I will make another one of these posts, but let me know if you liked reading it, and maybe I'll consider doing another one in the future.
-Smart

3 comments:

Why Do We Experience Pain?

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has pa...